Upgradation/Changes in Aadhaar Card
Jun 08, 2022
The Aadhaar Card is India’s premium identification document, required for authentication to avail all government schemes and banking services. The one-page document contains your entire bio, name, address, and mobile number, and its online database contains your biometric details of fingerprint and iris.
From applying for business loans online to getting an ultrasound, you need your Aadhaar Card, which makes keeping it up-to-date a priority. It is common for many people to raise requests for changes/updates on the Aadhaar. Good news! You don’t have to stand in line, as you can make Aadhaar Card changes online.
The UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) website lets you update/change your Aadhaar Card details online. All details except for your mobile number can be changed/updated online. You can update/change the demographic details on your Aadhaar card by logging in to the website with your 12-digit Aadhaar Card number and your registered mobile number.
Aadhaar Card Details That Can Be Updated Online:
- All minor changes in the name, such as repetition and misspellings.
- Date of birth and year of birth.
- Address (language and Pin code)
How To Make Changes In Aadhaar Card
You can update your name, date of birth, primary language, gender, and address online. Making changes to Aadhaar Card online is easy and can be completed within minutes. To change/update/add new information, follow the given steps:
- Open the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal.
- Click on “Login”.
- Enter your Aadhaar Card number, feed the captcha code and click on “Send OTP”.
- Feed the OTP received at your registered mobile number linked to your Aadhaar account.
- Toggle down the ‘Services’ column and click on “Update Aadhaar Online” to check the sections available for updates such as name, gender, date of birth, address, etc.
- Scan the sections and then head to the next page to click on “Proceed to Update Aadhaar.”
- Pick the Aadhaar details you want to change/update* and click on “Proceed to Update Aadhaar”.
- After selecting the sections under preview, enter the details you want to change/update and file the scanned copies of documents supporting your proposed change.
- Preview the changes through the option presented at the bottom and double-check the entered details.
- Pay the non-refundable online fee via debit card/credit card/UPI (INR 50).
*Note: Users must remember that there’s a limit on the number of times you can update/correct/change details on your Aadhaar.
How Long Does It Take To Update/Change Aadhaar Card
The Aadhaar Card update usually takes up to 90 days. Once payment is processed, UIDAI generates an Update Request Number used to track the status of the changes implemented. Once the necessary changes are published, you can print out your updated Aadhaar Card and store the old one safely inside.
How To Change Name In Aadhaar Card
You can make minor changes in the spelling of your name and add suffixed surnames/new surnames on your Aadhaar Card. You can change your name both online and offline.
Here are the steps necessary to change your name on your Aadhaar card online:
- Open the Self Service Update Portal using your 12 digit Aadhaar Card number.
- Scan the name section and click on the “Proceed to Update Aadhaar”.
- Open the new page and change your name/add a new surname.
- Double-check the entered details and click on ‘update’.
- Upload the self-attested documents that support your claim.
- Pay the non-refundable INR 50 fee.
How To Update/Change Mobile Number in Aadhaar Card
You cannot change your mobile number online. You must do it in person at your nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. Aadhaar Card Correction Online includes all other details except your mobile number.
Mobile number is one of the most frequently changed details in Aadhaar Card since many people move on from their old numbers. The change, however, is entirely cumbersome and different from other sections because registered mobile numbers are used for single/two-way authentication, OTPs, and so much more. Therefore, it is crucial to exercise maximum caution while changing one.
Here are the steps required to change/update your mobile number on your Aadhaar Card:
#1: Visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
#2: Fill out the Aadhaar Enrollment Correction/Update Form
#3: Turn in the form to the Aadhaar Executive
#4: Pay a non-refundable fee of INR 50
#5: Clip the acknowledgement receipt that contains the Update Request Number (URN), which is used to track the status of your request.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What are the documents required to update/change the Aadhaar Card details?
Passport, PAN card, NREGA job card, ration/PDS photo card, voter ID, driving licence, GOI issued photo identification cards, PSU issued service photo ID cards, bank passbook, credit card, ATM card, etc.
2. How can I submit supporting documents on the Self Service Update Portal?
You can submit the original scanned colour copies of the valid documents via a pre-saved scanned file or a home scanner.
3. Can I update my Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) address?
Yes. You can update your address and other demographic details on the Aadhaar Card through the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP).
4. How much does it cost to change my name on an Aadhaar Card after marriage?
Name change after marriage is done free of cost.
5. Do I need my Aadhaar Card to apply for a line of credit loan?
Yes. An Aadhaar card is mandatory in almost all private and public banking services and personal loan applications.
If you are using the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) for changes/updates, you must have your mobile number linked with the Aadhaar Card, as it authenticates your request with an OTP.
7. How can I update my details on my Aadhaar Card online?
You can change your Aadhaar Card online via the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) with a nominal fee and a scanned copy of supporting documents.